While hearing for the Suo Motu Petition for Migrant Workers SC issued several directions to the State Governments on Thursday.
SC passed the following directions:
- No fare either by train or bus shall be charged for migrant workers. Railway fare to be shared by states.
- Migrant workers who are stranded shall be provided food by the concerned state at places which shall be publicised and notified for the period that they are waiting for their turn.
- Originating state shall provide meal and water at the station and during the journey, railways to provide meal and water to migrant workers.
- The state shall oversee the registration of migrant workers and states to ensure that after registration, they are made to board the train or bus at an early date.
- All necessary details regarding number of migrants, plan for transportation mechanism of registration and other details should be brought on record in the reply. As and when the state governments put in a request for trains, railways have to provide them.
The Three Judges Bench comprising of Justice Ashok Bhushan, Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul & Justice M.R. Shah had heard the matter.