The Chief Minister of Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma introduced a new bill in the state assembly that was Assam Cattle Preservation Bill, 2021 to regulate the slaughter, consumption, and transportation of cattle and also proposes to repeal the old act, 1950.
The old act Cattle Preservation Act, 1950 lacks sufficient legal provisions to deal with the slaughter, consumption, and transport of cattle issues.
FEATURES OF BILL:-
1) Sec 7 – Ban on the transport of cattle.
2) Sec 8 – No offer of beef products near the temple.
3) Sec 11 – It provides the power to enact, inspect, search and seize. Gave power to police officers to inspect any premises within their jurisdiction.
4) Sec 13 – It provides penalties minimum for 3 years and extends up to 5 years. Fine imposed minimum for 3 lakhs and the upper limit is 5 lakhs.
5) Sec 14 – It also provides these offenses are cognizable and non-bailable
6) Sec 15 – If the offenders are absconded then their photo will be published at prominent places across the locality.
7) Sec 20 – It gives liberty to the state government for taking care of the cattle.