Justice DK Basu was a former Judge of the Calcutta High Court.
He was the petitioner in a landmark Supreme Court case of DK Basu v. West Bengal, which laid down the guidelines for arresting a person.
About Justice DK Basu:
1. Justice Basu started his legal profession as an Advocate in the Calcutta High Court and in the Supreme Court.
2. He was elevated to the bench as Judge of Calcutta High.
3. He was the Chairman of Legal Aid Services West Bengal (LASWEB).
4. He was the Chairman of the National Committee for Legal Aid Services.
6. He was the founder of Association of Retired Justices of Supreme Court and High Courts of India.
7. He was also the Founder and President of Association of Retired Justices in West Bengal.
8. Justice Basu was the Consultant in Training Program for the Lower Judiciary in India under sponsorship of Amnesty International India.
9. He participated in the consultation on the Asian Charter on Rule of Law in Hongkongorganised by Asian Human Rights Commission in 2006.
10. He also acted as an International Observer in Trial Courts of Sri Lanka for the Asian Human Rights Commission based at The Candy High Court, Sri Lanka.