The Medical Termination of Pregnancy (Amendment) Act, 2021 recieved President ial assent bringing much awaited reforms which would allow abortions by unmarried women for contraceptive failure and abortions beyond the earlier gestational limit of 20 weeks.
Highlights of the new law:-
- Pregnancies upto 20 weeks can be terminated with the opinion of one registered medical practitioner. Earlier the gestational limit was of 12 weeks.
- Pregnancies between 20-24 weeks can be terminated on the opinion of two registered medical practitioners. Earlier women with 20 weeks pregnancies cannot abort their child under this Act, they have to approach the court through filling writ.
- The period of pregnancy would not be considered where the medical board has confirmed some foetal abnormalities.
- Through this Act, an unmarried woman can also abort the child falling within the gestational period.
- A new Section 5A has been inserted into the Act which procures full confidentiality to a woman whose pregnancy has been terminated.