The Supreme Court has notified the new roster determining the allocation of cases to its different Benches. This allocation will come into effect from the 4th of January after the court resumes from winter-break.
The roster system is a subject-wise allotment system which was formulate by former CJI Dipak Misra in February 2018. It was formulated after controversy know as the “master of roster”, which erupted after a press conference by four senior judges, who alleged that the CJI was selectively assigning cases to benches of preferences, ignoring seniority of judges.
As per the new roster:
1. PILs and letter petitions would be dealt by benches headed by CJI, Justices Ramana, Nariman, Lalit, Khanwilkar, Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and Nageswara Rao.
2. Election matters, Social Justice matters and Habeas Corpus will continue to remain with the bench headed by the CJI only.
3. Contempt of Court matters are allotted to the benches headed by the CJI and Justice U U Lalit.
4. Religious and Charitable Endowment Matters are allotted to the benches headed by Justices N V Ramana, UU Lalit, D Y Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan.
5. Arbitration Matters to benches of CJI, Justice Ramana, R F Nariman, Indu Malhotra and Indira Banerjee.These are identical to the one notified in October and will come into effect from the 4th of January after the court resumes from the winter break.