Advocate Prashant Bhushan will be moving the Supreme Court seeking a review of the Supreme Court’s August 14 judgement convicting him for contempt of Court.
Today, Senior Counsel Rajeev Dhavan, representing Bhushan in a separate contempt case which dates back to 2009, told the Court that it appears that the judgment of August 14 suffers from many imbalances.
The judgment in some parts says that allegations against Judges per se do not constitute contempt and it is on the basis of this that a review of the judgment may be sought, Dr Dhavan told a Bench of Justices Arun Mishra, BR Gavai, and Krishna Murari.
The Supreme Court on Friday had found Bhushan guilty of contempt of court for his tweets criticising CJI SA Bobde and the judiciary posted earlier this year.
The top Court had registered a suo motu contempt case against Bhushan over these two tweets.
The two tweets in question were posted in June this year. The first tweet pertained to Bhushan’s commentary on a picture of CJI Bobde on a high-end motorcycle, whereas in the second, Bhushan expressed his opinion on the role of last four CJIs amid the state of affairs in the country.
While defending his comments, Bhushan had also questioned the sudden listing of an 11 year old contempt case against him for his statements on corruption in the judiciary in an interview with Tehelka magazine. On August 10, the court decided to hear this case on merits.
It was during today’s hearing in the 2009 case that Dr Dhavan informed that the earlier verdict finding Bhushan guilty of contempt would be challenged by way of review.
The 11-year old contempt case has been posted for further hearing next week, after the Court sought responses to certain larger questions on the permissible limits of comments that involve allegations against a Judge.