The SC while hearing the plea filed by congress leader Sachin Choudhary challenging the Allahabad HC order on him that forbids him to use social media till the case subsides or is decided with finality, said that it wants to lay down a law on whether the courts can grant a bail and restrict a person into using the social media along till the pendency of the case or not and also whether such impositions are good in law if the case has nothing to do with the usage of social media.
Following are the sections of IPC on the grounds of which Sachin Choudhary was arrested:
- Sections 188 (Disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant)
- Section 269 (Negligent act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life)
- Section 270 (Malignant act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life)
- Section 271 (Disobedience to quarantine rule )
- Section124-A (sedition)
- Section505 (Statements conducing to public mischief)
- Section 153-A (Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence. language, etc., and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony. Offence committed in place of worship, etc)
- Section 153-B IPC (Imputation, assertions prejudicial to national-integration). And under Information Technology Act, & 56 of Disaster Management Act.
The bench spoke about wanting to lay down Law in this very aspect after hearing from senior counsel Salman Khurshid who appeared for Sachin Choudhary.